The Annual Meeting and Food Expo is always jam packed with exciting events and opportunities for students, and this year was no exception. IFT celebrated its 75th anniversary in true New Orleans style by kicking things off at Mardi Gras World with live music and jambalaya for everyone! Students at the meeting had the amazing opportunity to meet with 23 different companies at the annual career fair, learn more about the FutureFood 2050 documentary with director Scott Hamilton Kennedy and author Josh Schonwald, and attend a variety scientific sessions. Check out www.live.ift.org for summaries of scientific sessions and other event highlights from IFT14.
Feeding Tomorrow, the foundation of IFT, awarded over $160,000 in scholarships for the coming academic year. Congratulations to all of the scholarship recipients! The IFTSA and Feeding Tomorrow Fun Run and Walk was a great success this year as well, raising $107,000. Thank you to those who participated!
It goes without saying that the IFTSA competitions are the highlight of the meeting for so many students. All of the competitors this year deserve special thanks for their participation. Congratulations to the winners of all the IFTSA competitions!
Product Development Competition, Sponsored by Mars:
- 1st place: Cornell University—Popples
- 2nd place: University of Wisconsin—Walking Wok
- 3rd place: McGill—Frisson
Developing Solutions for Developing Countries, Sponsored by Partners in Food Solutions: General Mills, Cargill, DSM, and Buhler.
- 1st place: Cal Poly—Amma Mamas
- 2nd place: Cornell University—So-Sweet
- 3rd place: Rutgers University—Soy-sunsation
- 1st place: Bogor Agricultural University—FLOYA
- 2nd place: University of Putra Malaysia—SunnySoy
- 3rd place: Bogor Agricultural University—Soymuch
Disney–IFTSA Product Development Competition: Nutritious Foods for Kids:
- Grand prize: Cornell University—Finding Dory and Friends
- 1st place: Iowa State University—Flight Bites
- Winner: Penn State University
- Runner up: The Ohio State University
Chapter of the year:
- 1st place: Rutgers University
- 2nd place: University of Wisconsin, Madison
- 3rd Place and Most Improved Chapter: The Ohio State University
- 1st place: Paula Feldman
- 2nd place: Robert divine
- 3rd place: Clinton Hervert
Excellence in leadership:
- Graduate: Allison Atnip
- Undergraduate: Liz Sharpe
Join IFTSA next year at IFT15, the 75th Annual Meeting and Food Expo July 11-14, 2015 in Chicago, IL!